Growtokens are obtainable in a number of ways:
- Purchasing from Locke The Traveling Salesman for 1 Diamond Lock each.
- Purchasing from Sales-Man for 100 Caduceus, 10 Wolf Tickets, 300 Zombie Brains or 100 Mac n' Cheese Stars.
- Completing the Daily Quest from Crazy Jim.
- Completing all three Life Goals while having at least 60% Awesomeness.
- Completing all Daily Bonuses while having at least 65% Awesomeness for 2 Growtokens.
- Successfully winning a World Of The Day for 10 Growtokens.
- Successfully winning a Video Of The Week for 20 Growtokens.
- Purchasing the Gem Fountain for 1 Growtoken or the It's Rainin' Gems bundle for 2 Growtokens.
See main article: Growtoken Store
The Growtoken system was first implemented into the game on the 30th of March, 2014. At first, Growtokens were extremely difficult to obtain, leading players to believe that it was an April Fools prank and the item did not exist. However, a bug was discovered in the system which meant that people were not given their deserved tokens which was later fixed.
After more than two years later, after many players complained about the unfairness and scams which were going on in the community, the entire Growtoken system was changed during the Systems Update on the 2nd of September, 2016. Crazy Jim was introduced and players could earn Growtokens from Daily Quests and Daily Bonuses. A new rating system was introduced which allowed players to rate players worlds from one to five. If the world was placed in top rankings, they would receive Growtokens, depending on their rank.
However, many players started to complain after rating groups were formed which made the competition unfair. During the fourth Anniversary Week on the 6th of January, 2017, the entire rating system was scrapped (players could still rate worlds but would not give any Growtokens). Instead, the Sales-Man was introduced which allowed players to purchase Growtokens in exchange for Caduceus or Wolf Tickets. World Of The Day also gave out 10 Growtokens and Video Of The Week gave out 20 Growtokens. Seth and Hamumu stated that they would introduce more methods of earning Growtokens.
During the Night of the Sewing Dead update on the 3rd of February, 2017, Growtokens were purchasable from Sales-Man for Zombie Brains and during the Cooking Update on the 1st of April, 2017, they were also purchasable from Sales-Man for Mac n' Cheese Stars.